I see “stones” for artists in three areas — issues related to the church, issues related to the artist, and issues within the culture at large. There is a desperate need for the church to understand God’s heart for the arts, God as artist, and how God allowed truth to be expressed through the arts at his command. If the church does understand something of the arts, they are often embraced as utilitarian — as “tools” to use. The arts are not a tool. Art is very different from most forms of communication, and if we want to understand how the arts can proclaim truth, we have to understand how art speaks. We want not only good art but also good communication.
Another area where stones exist is the artist’s personal life. The tragedy for many artists is
that as they go into the culture, they stumble and fall. They turn away from God, get involved in unhealthy relationships, and on and on. The reason is that the arts, as with all areas of life, have been tainted by sin. Idolatry is one aspect that is critical to look at, because so many times our gift as an artist becomes an idol, and we become more passionate about our art than about Jesus. Another aspect is sexual impurity, because the arts use the senses, and artists have a high sensual awareness. Another area is independence. Artists are vulnerable to pride and ego, and often want to be free to do their own thing, away from the church and accountability.- I'd be interested in hearing anyone's response to this? I've only used a small portion of his entire thought... but I think this is strong food for thought.
What's the difference between "serving the church" with your art and it being "used as a tool"? If I serve the church by offering my art for communication or enhancing worship, is it not also a tool?
ReplyDeleteI think these are quite valid points. Phy, in regard to not being a tool, I believe the art is in and of itself what it is, perhaps sometimes utilized as a tool, yet it just IS. I agree that the stones described are also valid stumbling points in many lives of artists.
ReplyDeleteAt the root of this statement, I think, is the distinction of utility. No doubt art always has something to say... and that voice may or may not be intentional.
ReplyDeleteToo often what happens in Christian circles is that 1) the church in general only wants to "use" art as a utility - the value of the art is that it is a vehicle for the message it carries. Therefore in some sense devaluing the inherent value of the "beingness" which Robin mentioned. 2) the faith artist either begins to or ends up becoming a "Christian artist" their art is defined by the message of which it carries or the artist judged on how well the message is carried.
It has been a joy to see Phyl's art become increasing abstract over the years. I don't think that it would be a stretch to say that her work has also become more centrally spiritual and yet more difficult for the average person to see the spirituality. The beauty and "beingness" of Phyl's work affects you first - then you are challenged by the title which is usually of a spiritual nature.
So, although Phyl's work essentially carries a message it is because it was born out of that message... it was not created for the message.
Thoughts?
Ah-h-h. Thanks, Matt for responding. I've been checking. I really like your comment: "although the work essentially carries a message it is because it was born out of that message. . .not created for the message." That is brilliant and gives me insight and encouragement. If the artwork serves the church, it is an added blessing, not just being "used" by the church.
ReplyDeleteI also feel the other tensions of loving the art so much and also doing my own thing. Maybe that's the reason God put me in Christian work because those temptations can't stay long if I have integrity with my mission.
I feel I'm not alone, though, as another artist friend shared that her brain feels like it is wholly stimulated while doing her art, probably more than doing other ministry. Is that because we are fully engaged in the gifts God gave us? I wonder where I would be if not in ministry? Would I be fully tempted with those stones with different results?
Yes. I feel we are all tremendously inclined to be legalistic... either toward message or toward freedom. The difficulty is in reaching a place of equilibrium where we can reconcile freedom with message.
ReplyDelete...additionally, I wish we could take the word ministry out of our Christian vocabulary... life should be synonymous with ministry... what ever your hand finds to do... do it with your might.
ReplyDeleteAgreed! Ministry conjures up all kinds of lists to me and has since I've "been in ministry". I always dreamed of having that line erased and thought it true now that I'm doing what I love, but somehow it continues to be a barrier for me; expectations, requirements. . .I'd love it if I was an artist and the "ministry" followed without scheduling it. Will I ever understand?
ReplyDelete