Wednesday, November 12, 2008

From the Shadows into the Light

I'm so glad Robin has started this blog. I hope it will bring encouragement and inspiration to you. I just read a message from Mako Fujimura, my artist friend in NYC who founded International Arts Movement (www.iamny.org). He is responding to a Christianity Today's Books and Culture magazine article(http://www.christianitytoday.com/books/web/2008/oct13.html). Fujimura states "the arts can surprise us by giving us a glimpse into the transcendent: This influence into the broader culture is precisely why the church needs to continue to encourage her congregants to preserve, create, and celebrate culture. Instead of merely complaining about or boycotting art, we need to create art that reflects our values and faith, undergirding freedom and commonwealth, the twin engines of democracy." He goes on to say, "Perhaps we can even go further and celebrate artists outside our faith perspective, to give recognition to the common-grace splendor of our God, who is himself an artist." Thanks for celebrating with us by being a part of this movement to bring our work from the shadows into the light of the community.

1 comment: